My name is Phil Newell and I would like to help you finish well. My own personal experience, as well as the experience of many others, leads me to believe that by engaging in purposeful and intentional conversations, leaders have a much greater potential of finishing well. Below is a brief biography to give you an idea of how my experience in life could be of benefit to yours.
Life and vocational decisions have taken me down a wide variety of paths. Here are a few examples:
- Local church youth minister that led to being selected to serve as a multi-state regional youth director.
- Served as pastor of a church in Missouri that had gone through six other pastors in the previous seven years. When I left, four years later, we had successfully led the church through a relocation process that took them from a corner lot to a sprawling 11 acre campus in a growing part of the city.
- For three years I served as the principal of Open Bible High School in Trinidad, West Indies with the specific assignment of nationalizing the school.
- I had the wonderful privilege of pastoring the Open Bible Church of Portland for 35 plus years. During that time we participated in the planting of seven other churches, six Anglo and one Hispanic.
- Served as a trainer/coach with Church Multiplication Training Center for five years, consulting with pastors and congregations that desired to plant new churches.
- Earned a Master of Arts in Exegetical Theology, M.Div., and D.Min. from Western Seminary in Portland, OR.
- Adjunct faculty and dissertation advisor/coach at George Fox Seminary
- Designed, developed, and now teach an online course on mentoring and coaching for Life Pacific College’s MASL program (Master of Arts in Strategic Leadership)
- Director of coaching and assessment for Refuge Foundation, a non-profit organization created to provide support to pastors and leaders
- Founder and CEO of Finish Well, a coach approach to leadership development with the goal of helping leaders finish well
- Executive coach to pastors, churches, and denominational leaders
- Coach and trainer with for-profit organizations, assisting them in the development of individual and team cohesion, vision, values, and strategy
- Certified MBTI presenter and coach
- Presenter & coach of EQ-i (Emotional Quotient Inventory)
- For over 15 years I have worked with Church Resource Ministries (CRM) as a church consultant and coach
Priscilla is my wife and has been my life’s companion for 45 years. Together we raised two children, Dana & David; both are married and have their own families. For exercise, I put miles on my Trek Madone 6.5 (hand built in the USA). When weather allows, Priscilla and I climb on our Co-Motion tandem and head to the local Starbucks. I also enjoy reading, playing golf with friends and working in the yard.